Here is an e-mail I received from an employer who called me to offer a job. I declined because of other arrangements, but was asked to pass the offer on to whomever can use it:
Hope doing great! I came across your resume posted online, We have an urgent opening for Customer Engineer 6 – Dell Driving Tech with Direct Client.
Please forward your resume if the below position interests you and respond back with answers attached the dell questionnaire with this e-mail.
Job Title: Field Computer Technician
Location: Miami, FL
MUST HAVE RELIABLE TRANSPORTATION AND VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE.
For Dell driving techs. The following reimbursement is applicable.
Milleage – $0.485/mile for first 220 miles….$0.20/mile for anything after
Toll and parking is reimbursable.
· Experience with replacing hardware components in desktop computers in a professional environment. Hardware components include motherboard, processor, memory, etc.
· Experience with replacing hardware components in laptop computers in a professional environment. Hardware components include motherboard, processor, LCD screens, etc. (Preferred but not required).
Under close supervision, applies guided scripts to perform routine field activities associated with installing, maintaining and servicing electronic products at customer sites. May include audio/visual systems.
Thanks & Regards,
Advent Global Solutions, Inc.
12777 Jones Road, Suite 445, Houston, TX 77070
- Extensive driving is a requirement. Would you have a problem driving 2 to 3 hours to deliver services to one of your customers?
- If your car breaks down, what is your back up plan?
- At your former employer, how many times did you call out sick during your final year?
- Occasionally you will be faced with unplanned overtime work (work past 5:30pm). Will this be a problem for you?
- Do you have a reliable computer, a high speed internet connection, and a printer at home?
- The position mandates business casual attire – no jeans, hats, caps, t-shirts, tennis shoes, construction-type boots, un-tucked shirts, hoodies, thermal sweat shirts, among casual dress. You will be required to report to work in dress pants/kakis, collar shirt, tucked in, and dress shoes. Will this be a problem?
- Will you commit to a minimum of 6 months, understanding that if the commitment is broken an unfavorable reference would be provided if called by a future employer?
- You will be required to certify and maintain Dell computer certification in your own time. Will this be a problem for you?
UTS Technical Questions for NBD Candidates
User Maria calls you to complain that her system is totally dead today. It was working fine when she left the last evening. Which of the following must you check first?
- Test the power supply
- Replace the CMOS battery
- Check the AC outlet
- Reseat the hard drive controller cable
- Your client’s computer refuses to connect to the network. You observe the NIC light is not ON and then use a different cable. What should you do next?
- Attempt to log in to the server after again observing the NIC light status.
- Replace NIC.
- Replace NIC driver.
- Consider it fixed.
- Sally is having a problem with the network. She cannot log on from her computer although the computer is fine. You log on from her workstation using her username and password. Everything works fine. What is most likely the problem?
- Server is down.
- Defect patch cable used at her computer.
- She does not have sufficient user rights.
- She is entering the username or password incorrectly.
- You have just configured two new SCSI drives on a system board meant for ATA drives. The drives being recognized after boot up are ATA drives. What is the problem?
- The BIOS is not configured to boot from the SCSI drives.
- You cannot boot from a SCSI drive.
- The Operating System must be updated.
- A BIOS firmware update must be applied.
- You have just purchased a computer running Win 2000 with the following configuration. Every time the system is powered ON it keeps rebooting automatically. What could the problem be? ATX Main board Two Pentium 4 – 1 GHz, 200W Power Supply
- CD ROM
- CD Burner
- Main board
- Your HDD does not respond upon powering ON your computer. What is the most likely problem?:
- Bad data cable
- Incorrect jumper setting on drive
- Loose Molex connector
- A floppy has been left in the FDD
- A brownout
- You boot your PC and don’t hear the usual single beep. What should you check first?
- System Board
- Power Supply
- You switch on your PC and get no display. You are sure the monitor is ok. Which order would you follow for troubleshooting this problem?
- Replace the video card, replace the monitor, replace the power supply, replace the system board, try a different monitor.
- Check that PC and monitor are plugged in, check that monitor brightness is turned up, check that PC fan is running.
- Check PC supply voltages, replace video card, replace CPU.
- Check that everything is plugged in, replace system board.
- What is the most likely consequence of a sudden power outage?
- Lost data
- RAM damage
- Monitor damage
- Modem damage
- Electrical shock
- Adapter card damage
- A parity error usually indicates a problem with which of the following?
- Hard Drive
- Hard Drive Controller
- I/O Controller
Customer Service Questions
- How do you handle negative feedback from very angry clients? How do you respond to him/her?
- Can you tell me about a time when you did something extra, which was not part of the routine activities assigned to you, but you did it for the benefit of the customer?
- Explain with an example, how would you handle a situation where a customer is asking for something, which is not in the interest of the company or which would violate a policy of the company?
- Have you ever felt, during course of your work, that the existing systems and solutions are not sufficient to meet the needs of customers properly and/or that they need to be changed? If so, tell me more.
- Can you explain how you contact or initiate communications with customers?
- If you had to turn down a request from a valued client, what would you do?
- Tell me about a situation when you were given job instructions and you were unable to comprehend the instructions. How did you go about completing the task?
- How do you manage to work with people whom you are not comfortable with? What do you do in such situations?
- Tell me about a situation where you were aware of a serious mistake made by a colleague and what did you do about it?
- How would you handle a conflict between you and higher management?